4 tablespoons unsalted butter , softened
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley leaves
1 medium clove garlic , pressed through garlic press or minced to puree (about 1 teaspoon)
1/2 teaspoon table salt
Ground black pepper
Soften the butter in a bowl (don’t melt it!), then stir in salt and flavorings (for other flavors, see below) to taste.
Once the ingredients have been combined, place the butter mixture in the center of a piece of plastic wrap. Fold one edge of the plastic wrap over the butter. Glide your hands back and forth over the butter to shape it into a cylinder. Twist the ends of the plastic wrap shut and refrigerate until firm.
Compound butter can be kept refrigerated for several days or frozen for up to a month. To use, simply slice off the desired amount and continue to store the rest.
- Chopped fresh herbs, any kind!
- Citrus zest and cracked black pepper
- Chopped roasted red bell peppers and smoked paprika
- Chopped fresh rosemary and grated Parmesan cheese
- Crumbled Roquefort and ground black pepper
- Chopped chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, minced garlic, minced fresh cilantro leaves, and lime juice
- Minced shallot and chopped fresh thyme leaves
- Curry powder, minced shallot, and chopped fresh mint and cilantro leaves
- Minced sage leaves and finely chopped toasted walnuts
- Honey, fresh orange juice, and grated orange zest
- Roasted garlic and minced caramelized onions
- Minced sun-dried tomatoes, pesto, or tapenade
- Anything other flavor combinations that you like or are willing to try!
Adapted from www.cooksillustrated.com