- 1 (15 ounce can) fava beans (or use fresh)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Ground red pepper, to taste
Pour the beans into a pot and bring to a boil. Mix them well and add onion, tomato, olive oil, cumin, parsley, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and red pepper. Bring the mixture back to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium. Let the mixture cook 5 minutes. Serve warm with grilled pita.
Here is a wonderful alternative to breakfast! This is a traditional breakfast in Egypt and is served with pita bread.